DEMENTIA FRIENDLY FORT WORTH
1 IN 3 SENIORS dies with Alzheimer's or another dementia. It kills more than breast cancer and prostate cancer... COMBINED.
Everyone responds to love. The heart knows what the brain forgets.
COVID-19 AND PERSONS WITH DEMENTIA
The COVID-19 pandemic is disproportionately affecting individuals with Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
• Individuals living with Alzheimer’s have high prevalence of conditions that are identified as potential risk factors for severe illness due to COVID-19:
* 73% of people with Alzheimer’s and other dementias have hypertension;
* 38% have coronary artery disease;
*37% have diabetes.
• In 2020, between January 1 and November 21, there were 314,028 COVID-19 hospitalizations among Medicare fee-for-service (FFS) beneficiaries. Nearly a third of them had a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s or another dementia.
• From the start of the COVID-19 pandemic through the end of 2020, there were at least 42,740 more deaths than expected from Alzheimer’s disease
Our Mission Statement
Dementia Friendly Fort Worth collaborates with community partners to advocate for systems change and provide education, resources, and services that will enhance the lives of those with dementia and their care partners.
- Innovative social opportunities for persons living with dementia and their care partners
- Activities for Persons Living at Home with Dementia
- Weekly Dementia Friendly Chapel
- 5th Street Café: A Dementia Friendly Social Club
- Education opportunities for everyone to increase awareness and understanding of dementia
- Dementia Live® simulation experiences
- Dementia Friends training
- Education and certification for Dementia Friendly businesses, organizations, and institutions
- Advocacy for practices and opportunities that enrich the lives of persons living with dementia and their care partners.
You Can Make a Difference
For the cost of a cup of coffee per week, your generous donation can provide dementia education for people in businesses, civic groups, faith communities and neighborhoods, including 5th Street Café: A Dementia Friendly Social Club and Dementia Friendly Chapel.
Your donation also supports the Activities for Persons Living At Home with Dementia program. This unique 30-minute on-line program is designed especially for people living at home with dementia who may be experiencing social isolation. Each session features a guest presenter who guides participants through fun and engaging activities they can do from home.
These activities include music therapy, movement, arts, sing-a-longs, and social opportunities. Having a routine can be a major benefit for those with dementia, so this program is presented daily (M-F).
Dementia Friendly Fort Worth is funded by generous donations from individuals, companies, organizations, and foundations that have a desire to make a difference in the lives of those living with dementia and their care partners.
Why Be a Dementia Friendly City?
There are more than 100 types of dementia, for which there is currently no cure. More than 60% of individuals living with dementia live in your neighborhood and use the businesses and services in your community.
The numbers are staggering: There are now over 20,000 persons in Tarrant County with dementia and by 2025 there will be more than 30,000. Caregivers are dying faster than those living with dementia. Won’t you join our efforts to make their days more meaningful?